ART APPRECIATION: Kdramas That Told Stories Beyond Life and Love.
Cover Art by Rxandy Capinpin
Kdramas have come such a long way over the last decade. Besides charming a wider audience since its entrance into the streaming service platform, stories of life and romance are told in ways that involve fashion and the arts!
Here are some of the shows that could spark interest and inspire your inner creativity:
1. Personal Taste (Architecture) - based on a novel of the same name, this Kdrama revolves around a furniture designer and architect who came to live together under ulterior motives. Both are desperate to keep their passion for each of their crafts. This drama showcases an excellent fusion of traditional Korean with a modern vision of architecture and design.
2. Fashion King (Fashion) - labels and love. what more could you ask for? This show doesn't only come with trendy fashion but also an amazing cast that depicts the lives of 4 individuals who, despite adversities, will fight tooth and nail for who and what they love.
3. Her Private Life (Arts) - this drama tells the story of a talented art gallery curator who lives a double life as a K-pop fanatic. But what happens when her new (and handsome) boss is on to her? Surely a chaos of events that will have you laughing and falling in love at the same time!
4. STILL 17 (Music) - A violinist who lost 13 years of her life after an accident meets a set designer who always gets in trouble because of his antisocial behavior. Two opposite characters are bound to discover that what they're looking for was there before their very eyes. This drama features a funny cast and beautifully shot scenes!
5. W: Two Worlds (Illustration). With its unique plot of the real world clashing between an alternate universe inside a webtoon, this show was praised for its acting and graphic design. Highly entertaining and will keep you guessing until the very end!
6. Record of Youth (Fashion, Beauty) - boasting 3 of South Korea's hottest stars, this show follows the lives of aspiring characters struggling to create their name in the contemporary fashion industry. A glimpse of what goes behind the scenes, beautifully shot in Seoul's best landscapes, this drama will definitely inspire your next insta #OOTD!
Have you watched any of the series? Let us know which one is your favourite in the comment section!